Does Fin WA provide counselling?

Fin WA does not provide ongoing therapeutic counselling as part of its service to parents or family members.

It is understood that parents involved with the child protection system may need to talk issues through with a qualified counsellor or therapist at some stage. In these circumstances, in consultation with parents we will make an appropriate referral.

When parents are working with Fin WA we encourage them to call their advocate/support worker to talk things through at any time. If their worker isn’t available anyone else in the team will listen to and speak with a parent. A parent does not have to be a client of Fin WA for us to provide a listening ear at any time.

When parents are going through particularly difficult times they are encouraged to call us and we will listen and talk with them. We do engage in brief crisis counselling as required.

Return to Child Protection Workers FAQs