What should I do if birth parents turn up to the school wanting to see or take their children?

If a meeting between a birth parent and their child has been pre-arranged and approved by CPFS then you should have been notified in advance. If you are unaware of an arrangement, then contact CPFS urgently and ask them to deal with the issue. In the meantime, since the child/ren are in your care you must do what you think is best for them. We suggest you consult with other staff, including the Principal, before you make any major decisions. If a parent is to visit a child at school it would be part of a plan that ought to have been shared with the school and appropriate staff. It may be worthwhile to review the Education Department’s policy on children in care.

Return to Education Workers FAQs