What do I do if I want to keep the child in my care?

In some situations, children may require long term or permanent care. However, in most circumstances where there is no risk or danger to a child by residing with their family, Fin WA would support the reunification of the child. The best interests of the child must remain paramount and foster carers can sometimes find this difficult. We suggest you get support to help you through this. You can talk with the child’s case manager, the Foster Care Association or there are other counsellors that you can talk with about your feelings of attachment to the child and how to manage them.

Return to Foster Carers FAQs